NEWS & UPDATES
Maine housing officials pushing for restored Section 8 vouchers to stem spike in homelessness
BANGOR, Maine – Maine groups that deal with housing and homelessness are joining counterparts across the country, pushing Congress to restore funding for Section 8 vouchers so individuals and families who are homeless or close to it can find a stable place of their own. In last year’s across-the-board $1 trillion federal spending cuts, known
Human trafficking response involves legislators, shelters
PORTLAND, Maine -Sexual Assault Response Services of Southern Maine program manager Katie Kondrat helps victims of human trafficking at Preble Street in Portland and says it has a broader definition than most people realize. Many who have worked as prostitutes are homeless and are addicted to drugs. She said others know their abusers, who use
Three Gorham residents charged with sex trafficking
Daniella Cameron, manager of the Preble Street Anti-Trafficking Coalition, said in a prepared statement that the group is “seeing increasing numbers of people being trafficked” and is working with law enforcement agencies to protect the victims, most of them young women. “Sex trafficking can happen anywhere there are vulnerable victims and people willing to exploit
Three arrested on sex trafficking charges
GORHAM, Maine -The Cumberland County District Attorney’s Office says three people from Gorham have been arrested on sex trafficking charges. Klein Fernandes, 27, Tamika Dias, 34, and Jeremy Seeley, 32, are accused of exploiting a 19-year-old woman and requiring her to engage in commercial sex acts. The District Attorney’s Office said the victim was posted
Officials bust Maine sex trafficking operation
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) — Officials have arrested three Gorham residents on sex trafficking charges, said Cumberland County Deputy District Attorney Tuesday. With the help of Preble Street Teen Center, police became aware late last week of a 19-year-old girl that Klein Fernandes, Tamika Dias and Jeremy Seeley exploited and required to engage in commercial
Portland Ovations to bring awareness to food insecurity with WHO'S HUNGRY?
Portland Ovations presents, in collaboration with SPACE Gallery, the poignant and provocative Who’s Hungry for 4 performances at SPACE Gallery on April 10th at 8 pm, April 11th at 8 pm and Saturday April 12th at 2 pm and 8 pm. Who’s Hungry is an evening of experimental tabletop puppet theater that gives a voice
Portland gets grant to delay closing of homeless health clinic
The city of Portland has won federal funding to continue operating its Health Care for the Homeless clinic beyond April 1, when it had been scheduled to close. But how long it will stay open – and what services will be offered – is uncertain. The clinic is still expected to run out of funding
Sweet Home
Editor’s Note: Last May, we published "Cornered: Portraits of Portland’s Traffic Panhandlers," by local writer and photographer Doug Bruns. This winter, Bruns completed a similar assignment, this one focused on formerly homeless people who have made the transition to housing with the help of local social-service agencies. (One of the subjects of "Cornered," Judy, also
Advocate for homeless kicks off common good leadership series
"I was driving back from Boston, gripping the wheel, thinking to myself, ‘Be careful what you wish for’," Mark Swann ’84 said, describing the advent of his remarkable career to a roomful of students at the McKeen Center. While Swann dreamed of being able to make an impact on the most needy, he also knew
Breakfast Cook-Off winner is… Eve’s at the Garden
Tim Labonte’s pork belly waffles smoked the competition this morning at the fifth annual Incredible Breakfast Cook-Off, accomplishing what no other dish has been able to do in four years: Knock perennial winner Lisa Kostopoulos off her French toast throne. "I certainly didn’t expect it, to be completely honest," said first-time competitor Labonte, who is
Breakfast Cook-Off starts Maine Restaurant Week
SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) — Sea Dog Brewing kicked off Maine Restaurant Week Friday with the Incredible Breakfast Cook-Off. Competing restaurants cooked their best breakfast dish and ticket buyers tasted and then voted for their favorites. PHOTOS: Breakfast Cook-Off Just before 9 a.m., Maine Restuarant Week announced the winners. The second runner-up, or third
Senate overrides LePage veto of bill to provide summer food for free, reduced lunch students
AUGUSTA, Maine – The Senate voted on Tuesday to override a veto by Gov. Paul LePage of a bill that would require schools in poor communities to operate a summer nutrition program for students who qualify for free or reduced lunch. The Senate voted 25-10 to override the veto, which constitutes the required two-thirds majority