News

NEWS & UPDATES

Death of homeless woman poses hard questions

When did we stop caring about Toina Hanson? It had to have been long before Aug. 4, when her skeleton was found by a berry picker in the woods by the Stroudwater neighborhood. We say she was 31 but she probably died before her last birthday, since police say her body may have been lying

Read More »

Homeless students getting younger

BRUNSWICK – The numbers of youth taking advantage of the Merrymeeting Project have remained stable over the past several years, but the age of homeless students taking advantage has dropped in recent years. “For my project, we serve school-age students, predominantly high school students that are couch surfing,” said Donna Verhoeven, director of the Merrymeeting

Read More »

Can Maine end homelessness?

There are important steps communities and the state and federal government can take to help prevent Mainers from having to live in cars, parks, abandoned buildings, on sidewalks and in emergency shelters. They include developing enough supportive housing, providing clear access to available services, following up with people over time and expanding prevention efforts. Homelessness

Read More »

Clients' medical needs challenge Portland homeless shelters

PORTLAND – About a year ago, Rob Parritt began keeping a three-ring binder in his office at the Oxford Street Shelter to hold the growing stack of doctors’ notes asking the homeless shelter to provide special accommodations for clients with medical issues. The binder covers now strain to contain the 3 inches of papers that

Read More »

Maine homeless shelters stretched to the max

PORTLAND, Maine – The mayor of the city of Portland said the city’s homeless shelters are over capacity on a nightly basis. Mayor Michael Brennan said the problem is so bad people are sleeping in chairs or are being turned away from shelters. "We even have an overflow shelter for our overflow shelter, and we’re

Read More »

Portland seeing unprecedented numbers of homeless seeking shelter

PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) – Officials in Portland say they are seeing some troubling numbers when it comes to homelessness in the city. At Oxford Street shelter the beds are empty during the day. But several hours before it opens for the night, people will begin lining up in hopes of getting one of the

Read More »

Feds: Maine Owes $13 Million for Medicaid and Food Program Mistakes

It’s a double-whammy for Maine’s Department of Health and Human Services. The department overpaid food stamp benefits to about 58,000 households for four months last year. The department also incorrectly calculated Medicaid claims, according to the federal government, and both of those mistakes add up to a tab of mroe than $13 million owed to

Read More »

Our View: Homelessness not just problem for Portland

It would be a mistake to view Portland’s shortage of homeless shelter beds as just a shortage of beds — or just a problem for Portland. The city is dealing with failure to address serious underlying problems in our economy and social service safety net that won’t be solved with more capacity at the homeless

Read More »

Federal dollars flow into Maine to fight hunger

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) – Maine’s Androscoggin County has received a federal grant of $10,000 to combat hunger and homelessness and to help families in economic crisis. U.S. Sen. Susan Collins says this is on top of previously announced dollars. One county soup kitchen says lunch counts increased from 1,500 in September 2011 to 2,500 in

Read More »

Hunger on the Rise in Maine as Congress Considers Food Program Cuts

Hunger is on the rise in Maine. Over 200,000 Mainers are unsure where their next meal is coming from–the sixth-highest hunger rate in the nation, federal statistics indicate. In Portland today, USDA Under Secretary Kevin Concannon, Mayor Michael Brennan, and hunger advocates held a press conference to draw attention to the problem–and to the concern

Read More »

USDA under secretary touts food programs in Portland, asks Congress to resist cuts

PORTLAND, Maine – A top U.S. Department of Agriculture official on Wednesday morning touted local summer lunch programs for schoolchildren and urged Congress to resist proposed cuts to federal food subsidy programs. Kevin Concannon – former commissioner of the Maine Department of Human Services and current USDA under secretary for food, nutrition and consumer services

Read More »